Editorial Board Positions

Herald Editor, WKUHerald

What is the position?

• Working on the editorial board means you’ll be working with a like-minded team who are interested in learning leadership skills by leading a group of your peers in different departments on the Herald.

Who should apply?

• Students who are interested in learning leadership and want to help guide and strengthen the coverage of WKU’s campus and beyond.

Why should you apply?

• To gain leadership skills and to work with a team who are excited to improve the Herald’s coverage of news.

If you have any questions about the application process, contact the Herald’s Editor-in-Chief at herald.editor[at}wku.edu, wkuheraldeic[at]gmail.com, or 270.745.5044

Job Description

Department: Editorial

Reports To: Editor-In-Chief

Hours: 10-15 per week

Paid: Yes this is a salaries position

You’re well read up on everything happening on campus and are ready to take on a leadership role. You’re someone people listen to and have a desire to help your colleagues at all levels of the organization. The College Heights Herald is looking for leaders who enjoy fast-paced environments, want to learn to work with different personalities and are ready to lead other students in important coverage of Western Kentucky University and the surrounding community.

Responsibilities:

• Responsible for overseeing reporters each producing between one and two stories a week
  • Develops story ideas and helping maintain the publication schedule set forth by the editor-in-chief
  • Works closely with other editors to determine angles and appropriate sourcing for stories
  • Must be able to think creatively about news presentation (i.e. photos, graphics, etc.) and convey those ideas to others
  • Should demonstrate willingness to lead and to sometimes make tough decisions
  • Must keep reporters or photographers on a schedule to meet or beat all deadlines
  • Must follow the ethical guidelines set forth by the Society of Professional Journalists

Qualifications:

• Must be a WKU student
  • Success in a School of Media writing-related class strongly advised (knowledge of grammar, style conventions, etc. is essential)
  • Strong interest in news (especially as it pertains to digital)
  • Should be willing to cultivate a lively social media presence

You *do not* need to be in the School of Media to apply for this position. We welcome applicants from all majors and backgrounds.

Editorial Board Application

Form which students who want to work on the news staff fill out to apply.

Name(Required)
Degree You Are Seeking(Required)
MM slash DD slash YYYY
Working for the College Heights Herald requires a time commitment. While most staffers are paid, this is a job, and editors and managers will expect you to complete your assignments in a timely fashion. Please answer these questions to help us determine how much time you can commit to the newspaper.
Describe yourself in 3 words(Required)
Working for the College Heights Herald requires a time commitment. While most staffers are paid, this is a job, and editors and managers will expect you to complete your assignments in a timely fashion. Please answer the following questions to help us determine how much time you can commit to the newspaper.
1
2
3

EDITORIAL BOARD POSITIONS(Required)
Positions and responsibilities change each semester depending on the needs and talents of the staff, but below are a general idea of the positions available. News and sports staffs are typically organized around beats, which require a greater time commitment, but they also offer general assignment positions. We're continually expanding our commitment to our digital front through a dedicated digital staff. This staff will provide 24/7 coverage of our campus and community and will work outside the typical print schedule. Check out our link to see the job descriptions: https://training.wkuheraldprojects.com/index.php/newsroom-roles/
COPY EDITING
VISUAL EDITORIAL BOARD POSITIONS
DIGITAL TEAM
Accepted file types: jpg, png, pdf, jpeg, Max. file size: 15 MB.
If you are applying for a writing, design, photography or a cartoonist position, please include three samples of your work. If you do not have samples that have been published, please include samples that have been completed for class or in leisure time. Please attach them to your application. Applications that do not include some type of sample may not be reviewed.
Drop files here or
Max. file size: 15 MB.